|Leader||Mark Twain and Halley's Comet|
|Faith||superstition to most people - except us|
|Currency||volumes of comet tail dust particle|
|Animal||fake moon men that delivers comet death|
The Streaking Spectacle of C O M E T is a colossal, genial nation, ruled by Mark Twain and Halley's Comet with a fair hand, and renowned for its frequent executions, smutty television, and irreverence towards religion. The compassionate, democratic population of 9.625 billion Cometosians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The large, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Welfare, and Healthcare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Bayeux. The average income tax rate is 59.1%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The large but inefficient Cometosian economy, worth 417 trillion volumes of comet tail dust particles a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is quite specialized, is mostly made up of the Trout Farming industry, with significant contributions from Book Publishing and Information Technology. Average income is 43,360 volumes of comet tail dust particles, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.2 times as much as the poorest.
Colonists who were promised new lands find only war-torn devastation, old folks reminisce about the last time someone was acquitted of a crime, children happily laugh and play on their way to school during air-raids, and on-call doctors who check their pagers during movies are banned from cinemas for life. Crime is almost non-existent. C O M E T's national animal is the fake moon men that delivers comet death, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is superstition to most people - except us.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : C O M E T's influence in Solar System fell from "Contender" to "Negotiator".
- : C O M E T was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Stationary.
- : C O M E T's influence in Solar System rose from "Negotiator" to "Contender".
- : C O M E T changed its national motto to "Ye olde comet cometh".
- : C O M E T changed its national motto to "Come in with Halley's Comet... go out with it.".
- : C O M E T was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Valuable International Artwork.
- : C O M E T lodged a message on the Solar System Regional Message Board.
- : C O M E T's influence in Solar System fell from "Dealmaker" to "Negotiator".
- : Following new legislation in C O M E T, on-call doctors who check their pagers during movies are banned from cinemas for life.
- : Following new legislation in C O M E T, children happily laugh and play on their way to school during air-raids.